Tuesday 29 June 2010

The place wot I live in

I feel very lucky to live in the historic village of Kings Norton, about 5 miles south of Birmingham city centre.

I'm a stone's throw from the village green, home to some of the most beautiful old buildings the city has to offer. St Nicholas church is a 13th century building, although documents prove there has been a church on the same spot since at least the 11th century.


Within the church grounds stands the Old Grammar School, which is one of the oldest educational buildings in the country, believed to have been built in the 15th century.



Together with The Saracen's Head, a medieval building turned coaching inn, The Grammar school won £3m from the BBC Restoration project back in 2004. The money was used to fully refurbish the school and create St Nicholas place on the site of the old pub. This tourist and community centre is a great place to visit for a coffee when in the area.


All this history aside, I'm down at 'The Green' most days, it has everything I need. A Spar, post office, bank, charity shop and a fantastic greasy cafe. My top two favourite shops though, at The Natural Health Centre, fantastic for massage, and the Fabulous Fabric shop.

I've met people in the past who have been..........well a bit sniffy about Birmingham. Well, I'm born and bred and I love it, particularly this little corner away from the urban sprawl.

No comments:

Post a Comment